Friday, May 7, 2010

Librarian on School Tour

Apart from writing folk stories for Tales From the 7,000 Isles, I had the great opportunity of visiting schools over the past couple of weeks. I did workshops and training sessions to teachers in preschool, grade school to high school.

At The Raya School, I gave a session on evaluating and enjoying children's books. The module I made for them was entitled Bravo! Books! where in teachers immersed themselves in local and foreig picture books and chapter books for kids and teens. The reading influences of the Raya teachers are impressive. Collectively, they grew up in a print rich environment where books were accessible to them as well. The challenge now is for them to be more conscious in making better choices on books to use in the classroom.

Last Thursday I gave a Library Open House for grade school and high school teachers of St. Mary's Angel's School of Valenzuela. The library was set up like a "tiange" where teachers browsed through the resources available for their use in teaching and instruction. But before they perused the resources available to them, I provided input on the role of the library and the librarian in their lives as teachers.

Before the month ends, I'll be in Teacher Tin Canon's school in Merville, Paranaque to give a creativity workshop for her teachers. For interested schools and institutions on the workshops that I do, you can get in touch with me via email - zarah.gagatiga@gmail.com.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...