Thursday, February 3, 2011

Live Blogging: Books for Tots Program

National Bookstore Foundation Inc. partnered with the United Iriguenos for the Book for Tots program to distribute books to 40 public schools in Iriga, Camarines Sur. The program is in its third phase of implementation and training of teachers is the thrust for this year. With the influx of donated books for the past two years, teachers need more support in effectively using the books in the classroom.

When the organizers contacted me for a two-day workshop, I recommended my friend, Cynthia Villafranca to work with me in developing modules for the two day training.

I gave a session on Reading theories and cognition this morning. But, before my input on the topic, there were words and messages of inspiration that went around.


Mr. Larry Lee, president of United Ireguenos, delivered a welcome message in the mother tongue. I was like listening to my paternal grandfather. It made me teary eyed as he spoke of the importance of books and reading and that these two remain basic tools for empowerment. He mentioned about the association's goal of giving back to their kababayans at home. Mr. Lee is based in Washington DC but visits the Philippines periodically for the book donation project with National Bookstore Foundation.

Right now, the teachers are working on setting up their classroom library. We will soon close the session and have the wrap up. Tomorrow, they will have more activities on Reading techniques and strategies to be used in the classroom. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...