Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Author Interview: Gidget Roceles Jimenez

Ms. Jimenez at the launch of All About the Philippines
Gidget Roceles Jimenez, author of All About the Philippines answers these questions for this blog's author interview feature. All About the Philippines was launched in National Bookstore last August 15, 2015. Ms. Jimenez writes poetry and non-fiction books for children. Her book, Can We Live on Mars? (Adarna House, 2009) won the National Children's Book Award Best Reads of 2010. 

How long did it take you to write All About the Philippines?

Tuttle Publishing contacted me at the start of 2011 about the possibility of writing this book. After a long process of deciding what we would include in the book, it took me about a year to research and write the book.

What was the most challenging part of writing the book?

I think the most challenging part of writing the book was trying to decide what were the most important aspects of presenting authentic Filipino children growing up in such different parts of the Philippines. I was very thankful to have the input of the very knowledgeable team of Charlotte and Kiko Benitez to make sure that my information was accurate and relevant.

Author and illustrator together: Gidget Roceles Jimenez and Kora Dandan Albano

Describe the experience of working with Kora and Tuttle.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with Tuttle. My editor Terri Jadick from the  Tuttle Office in Vermont was a joy to work with. Though I had limited interaction with Kora while I was writing the text, it was wonderful to see how beautifully she complemented what I had written.

What is the book you wish you had written?

I honestly cannot say that there is a book I wish I had written because I love my favorite books exactly as they have been written. Among my favorites are those by Douglas Wood and Jon J Muth whose picture books have life lessons for all ages.

Photo source: These two photos are from Ms. Jimenez. Permission to post was granted by her.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...