Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Benefits of Book Signing and Meet & Greet the Author Events

With Toni and Zak at the 37th MIBF
I do not have a new book this year. Life happened.

But, my publisher, Lampara Books allotted a time for me to sign books at their booth during the 37th Manila International Book Fair in SMX Convention Center. I like book signings because, I meet my readers. I meet old friends and make new ones.

Last Saturday, I met Jenn Avetria who teaches in Sariaya National High School. We are friends on Facebook. One day, she sent me a private message asking about setting up a small reading center and library. I sent her links to blog articles I have written about her query. Imagine my joy when we met in person at the 37th MIBF! Jenn also attended the Likha-Pambata Writing and Illustrating Workshop. While she admits losing Php 500.00, she gained so much from the experience.

Another surprise that made me giddy as a child was meeting Zak Yuson up close and personal. Zak is the editor of Rappler's Move.PH. He bought a copy of Big Sister for his niece. I couldn't help but drop his mom's name in our conversation. His mom is one of the nicest people I know. But, more than that, I also got the chance to congratulate him on the success of Move.PH as a participatory platform for citizens to engage in news about current events, social development, government and society. From our brief meeting, I learned about X Rappler.

This is Rappler's new online platform for netizens to write stories. I still have to find out what it is and what it actually does that benefits people and their communities. But, on face value, I think X Rappler is an avenue for storytelling.

And of course, while signing books, I get a good gauge on how I can help my publisher market my books. More on marketing matters for writers in future post!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...