Thursday, November 17, 2016

Filipino Librarian of the Month: Tericel C. Tamayao

Librarians like Tericel Tamayao help kids navigate the digital environment
Our Filipino Librarian of the Month is Ms. Tericel C. Tamayao. Tericel is the teacher librarian of the Early Learning Center of Brent International School Manila. 

a. Why did you pursue LIS in college?

16 years ago, a librarian husband and 2 kids later, I met LIS in PUP that I don’t have a choice but to pursue because I was a late enrollee then. All the most popular and exciting courses were closed. That time, I am not really proud about the course and whenever my friends were asking me about it, just to at peace them, I remember that I keep on telling them that I will shift to Journalism next semester (which is my first choice of course). But it didn’t push through. A lot of crazy things happened.
To fast forward, all my dedicated and hardworking professors in PUP greatly influenced and motivated me to continue and finish the LIS course. Most especially when I did my practicum and was exposed to libraries and see how librarians were very enthusiastic and passionate about their job. It was only when I became a librarian that I realized that I didn’t choose to pursue LIS. It is LIS who pursued me.  Now, I know I have the best job in the world! 

My family is very proud that I never gave up being a librarian.

b. What is exciting about your job as a school librarian?

The exciting part of my job as a school librarian is everything! I get to interact with students everyday. I get to read great stories to them and teach them library skills. They are so funny and excited about books. How I wish the whole world loved books as much as they do. They have opened my mind to a world of possibilities in learning, in technology, in life. There are so many wonderful children’s stories out there and I love introducing children to these stories. I love to see their faces glow and get so excited about something we’ve just read and most especially when they found a just right book for them. I enjoy helping students and teachers find answers to questions they have and I love connecting them to good books.

Storytelling and reading aloud are activities that kids look forward to!


c. What challenges do you face as an LIS professional?

The STEREOTYPE! “Oh, do you teach lessons in the library?” There’s the other challenging part: people think we do nothing but sit around, sshhing the kids and read books all day! There are still many people who do not have an understanding of what we do and what we can do. 

I currently have a very supportive administration, but this has not always been the case. We should be advocating for what we do, sharing our abilities and skills with the students, teachers and to the community. Going above and beyond what people expect.
Since becoming a librarian, I have discovered that I need to step up and be visible on who I really am and what I am doing to shine a positive light on my profession. I am very proud of the fact that I am a school librarian serving the school alongside with teachers. I want everyone to know that I am a teacher librarian. I teach kids every day and I engage them to love reading.

Advocating books, reading and literature is a job Teri enjoys doing.
d. Recommend 5 Must-Reads for K-3 readers, teachers and parents.

It is very hard to trim down the recommended must-read books for K-3 readers because I have a long list. But anyway, these 5 books that I chose to take a special place in my heart and were among my top 5 read-aloud favorites.

1. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein – It’s hard to imagine a story more poignant than the tale of a tree that gives its life for a boy turned self-centered young man. It’s been interpreted along environmentalist and religious lines, but all can agree on the beauty of its underlying theme of generosity.

2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle – A cheery caterpillar nibble his way through an assortment of colorful foods and transforms into a butterfly.

3. Love You Forever written by Robert Munsch; illustrated by Sheila McGraw – A mother cradles her sleeping and sings him a lullaby and keeps up the habit for years and years.

4. A Perfectly Messed-Up Story by Patrick McDonnell – Louie becomes angry when the story in which he appears is ruined by messes from jelly, peanut butter, and other things that do not belong in books.

5. The Book With No Pictures by B. J. Novak – In this book with no pictures, the reader has to say every silly word, no matter what.

Book reviews from:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...