Friday, February 29, 2008

Back to Teaching

Not many know this, but I taught preschool before becoming a librarian. Bosom friends know that I really wanted to major in English back in college to teach grammar and literature in basic education. Naks! As if my skills in grammar is supercalifragelisticexpialedocious! But, as destiny would have it, I ended up in the Department of Library Science to my mother's great joy. I don't regret the decision, though deep in my heart lies the passion to teach in the classroom.

This coming school year, SY 08-09, I am looking forwrad to going back to the classroom as a Reading teacher. Finally, I can now put into practice the theories I learned from my Reading mentors and professors from UP REGALE. Wink! Wink! to Teacher Portia, Teacher Vic and Dr. H :-) As a librarian, I was able to do collaborative projects and activities on Reading and Information Literacy. In June, I shall be given the chance to stretch my reach further and continue to make connections between students and the love for reading.

I am sure that the adjustment period will not be a walk in the park. There will be great challenges and obstacles to hurdle. Then again, what's teaching without risks? That is the beauty of it all. Teaching is both a science and an art. I feel most significant when I am able to put theory into practice.

It does not mean that I will no longer be a school librarian. I still am. And I think, I will always be.

2 comments:

igor said...

UP Chancellor Sergio Cao said in his talk to new (in my case, returning) faculty that probably it is not the pay that lures people to teach in UP (or anywhere, for that matter)... It's the fulfillment... The psychic income. So here's to you, a fulfilling stint and more psychic income. :D

Zarah C. Gagatiga said...

thanks, igor! teaching gives me a natural high. sometimes i think i'm a born teacher :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...