Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Filipiniana Rare Books & Ephemera

I have been immersed in the development of a collection on Filipiniana, rare books and the ephemera since August. It is an interesting branch of Library and Information Science. I consider the experience as a re-education. I thought I had it all - an education in the traditional library school that provided for the basic rudiments of the job and the liberal and progressive graduate studies after. As far as learning is concerned, it is never too late to expand one's horizons.

Last week, I had the pleasure of finally meeting Mario Feir and his collection of Filipiniana rare book and ephemera collection. Mr. Feir, collector and bibliophile invites librarians and scholars, even the curious to peruse and browse through his esteemed collection. He has a war books collection and a host of titles on Philippine folk tales. Blair and Robertson's encyclopedia on everything Filipiniana is in his roster of prized possessions.

I leaned towards the children's book collection. Of course. And dear me! Mr. Feir has a copy of Urbana & Felisa, c. 1896.

I've been to modern libraries here and abroad, but the sensual appeal of old books has its own charm and spirit that could easily win me over. I love technology, but there is something about paper that is so naturally endearing. Perhaps, when I set foot in the British Library or the Library of Congress in Washington DC, then my horizon and perspective on books, reading and the library will likewise change.

Mr. Feir can be reached via 02-856-0957. His place is in One McKinley Place, 11A, 26 St., Crescent Park West. Bonifacio Global City, Taguig. The posh condominium across Crescent Park is Pacific Plaza. There lives another Filipiniana and rare book collector. His story is yet another tale to blog about!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...