Thursday, August 26, 2010

Initial Thoughts on Mockingjay

The Hunger Games enthralled me back to reading Young Adult literature. After my disappointment on the Twilight Saga, I lost appetite reading YA novels until I discovered Suzanne Collins' riveting book. Of course, when Catching Fire was released in October 2009, I scraped whatever was left of my personal budget just to get a copy.

Yes, both are satisfying and exciting reads. It offered me perspectives to the complexities of human nature. Needless to say, HG and CF characters showcased the best and the worst a person could become in grave and dire circumstances.

In the third book, Mockingjay, Collins continues to unnerve and disarm her reader. She is ruthless and unafraid. I cried out for the characters who died and suffered in the war. Like Katniss, I felt confused and used by those who hold and abuse power. Yet, in the end Collins offers her readers hope through the boy with the bread.

I would have not survived reading Mockingjay if not for Peeta Mellark. I'm writing his name in my long list of well loved characters. My formal and proper review of the book will follow as soon as I'm done with another round of reading. And yes, for the second round, I would know what will hit me in every turn of the page.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...