Friday, August 19, 2011

Filipino Friday: Reading as a Hobby

August 19 - How did you become a reader? What factors influenced you to take up reading as a hobby and why do you enjoy it so much?

I became a reader because my grandmother told me stories. I became a reader because my mother read to me. Books and writing materials were always available at home. We were not rich, but my parents made it sure that I grew up reading. Thanks to the reading genes as well! My parents and teachers didn't have a difficult time teaching me how to read and making me love it.

In my case, when it comes to reading, nature agreed to my parents' desire to nurture a reader for life.

Peers were also a great influence in my reading habits. In grade school, I remember a classmate who was so fond of dinosaurs I showed her the dino books my mom borrowed for me in the library where she worked. By sixth grade, I was using references and non-fiction books for my projects and assignments courtesy of mom's library. It was at that time when I met Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. To my surprise, a boy in class is a Hardy Boys fan as well! These books were the only books I borrow from our school library. In high school, more reading friends surfaced and we had mini-book talk sessions during recess and lunch. It was such a great joy to have friends whom I could share insights and feelings on books I have read. At that time, there were no blogs so I had to wait for days to connect and communicate with friends who read.

Now, as an adult, I keep in close proximity reader friends and a reading community. I also try my best to pass on to my children this love and culture for reading. I think I am successful with my daughter. My son, who is fourteen is turning out to be a challenge. I will blog on this next time since teenagers these days have different reading styles and varying tastes!

At the start of the year, a dear friend gave me a gift. She gave me a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's my favorite read so far for 2011.

2 comments:

Chachic said...

Judging from what I'm seeing in all the Filipino Friday posts, parents really influenced us to read. I think it's great that you're passing on the love for the written word to your children. :) That's what I'm doing with my inaanak too, I'm his self-proclaimed Book Godmother because I always give him books.

The Guernsey book is in my wishlist because I heard that it's something every book lover will appreciate.

Zarah C. Gagatiga said...

oh you should READ guernsey. author used the epistolary approach. rendering of story through exchanges of letters is old fashioned but you could really see how effective the technique when it comes to character building :-) i love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...