Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Music for a Cause: Songs for ERDA Tech Scholars

Mrs. Alma Rivera-Yu, a former co-teacher in Xavier School sent me her son's letter regarding a campaign for ERDA Tech. Niccolo, a grade 10 student in Hong Kong Academy, is in the process of completing his Personal Project (PP). In an IB school that runs the Middle Years Program, the PP is a required project that will help form skills essential for the next program in the IB Continuum, the Diploma Program. As for Niccolo, he works on what he loves which is music and pushes for a service component to help scholars of ERDA Tech continue their studies.

Here is Niccolo's letter, posted with permission from his parents, and information on how you can help him raise funds for ERDA Tech scholars.

Dear Tita Zarah,            

            I extend a warm greeting to youI am currently a 10th grade student in Hong Kong Academy. During this period in our academic year, we are assigned to create a personal project. The personal project is a “student’s piece of work that is the product of the student’s own initiative and creativity” (International Baccalaureate). As I reflected on what my personal project would be, I wanted to incorporate both my interests and service learning together so I can enjoy the process and at the same time have the satisfaction of helping others in a significant manner.  Through your help and support, the success of my personal project can go a long way, particularly in lending a helping hand towards individuals who most need it.

            While coming up with an idea or theme on what my personal project was going to revolve around, I thought that music was most suitable. Music has always been a passion of mine. I thought that creating a music album with my five original compositions seemed like a fulfilling concept.  However, considering the purpose and impact my project would have towards others, I thought that a music album in itself would be rather shallow and irrelevant. Adding a service learning aspect would give my product more meaning as this would benefit others who need help the most. As I traveled back to the Philippines to search for a charitable organization I could work with, I stumbled upon a perfect opportunity.

            ERDA (Educational Research and Development Assistance) Tech is an institution that provides technical and vocational secondary education to students that are financially less privileged. The students are taught various technical skills that will allow them to be employable once they graduate. This allows them and their families to help fight the cycle of poverty. However, the students of ERDA Tech fully rely on scholarships. Students receive their education through ERDA Foundation’s efforts of bringing in sponsors to help raise funds for the school. Knowing this, I thought that fusing ERDA and my music album together as one project would result to an astounding idea.

            Selling my music album was the idea I came up with. I decided that all the funds that I generate out of selling my music album will be for the benefit of the students of ERDA Tech. This would provide them a better opportunity to finish their schooling and possibly lead to a better future. I wish that you would support this personal project of mine by purchasing my music album and possibly promote this to other people as well. With your strong support, we can help these children end their hardships and achieve endless possibilities.
       
Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,

Niccolo Yu
Grade 10
Hong Kong Academy

Note: The “Order Form” is attached herein and I look forward to your positive reply.  Kindly send in your order form to the following email address:niccolo.yu@student.hkacademy.edu.hk and niccolo_erda@yahoo.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...